The face is a more complex system than we give it credit for – facial muscles hold onto stress, causing them to tense up and form unwelcome lines and wrinkles in the skin. Similarly, toxins build up in the fluids beneath our skin – resulting in facial bloating, puffiness, dullness, and congestion. Sometimes skincare products alone just don’t cut it when we’re overworked and under-rested – one promising solution is face massage, a foolproof means by which to wrestle out both tension and toxins.
Facial massage probably isn’t already part of your daily skincare routine, but doing it for just a few minutes each day has bountiful effects – think reduced lines, toned muscles, and blemish-free skin. What’s more, the heat from your hands and the massage motion helps to improve the absorption (and therefore the efficacy) of the product you’re using, and the application of pressure boosts circulation to give skin an instant glow.
Face Massage Technique
Most people don’t know what to do beyond aimlessly massaging product into their skin, so here’s the technique, straight from the pros. DO try this one at home.
- Squeeze a few drops of oil into the palms of your hands and rub the formula to evenly distribute.
- Press your fingertips across your browbone and slide slowly up your forehead, repeating several times.
- Lightly apply pressure and circle your eyes using the tips of your middle and ring fingers.
- Use your middle knuckles to gently apply pressure to your temples, drain down to your jawline, then repeat.
- Use your fingertips to gently massage around your mouth in short circular motions.
- Place your fists on your jawline and press upwards under your cheekbones. Move up and down to massage the muscles.
- Position your index finger above your jaw and your middle finger below, pull upwards from chin to the front of your ears.
- Place your thumbs below your chin and your index fingers between your brows, allow the length of your hands to place pressure, then slowly sweep back towards your ears then down to your neck.
When it comes to choosing the perfect product to perform your face massage with, the more emollient the better. Antipodes’ Divine Face Oil has a rich, dense consistency which coats skin in a protective, indulgent layer – think of it as the skincare equivalent of wrapping yourself in a cosy blanket. Like a superfood for the skin, this plumping and brightening blend delivers fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants to the skin, perfect for rehydrating and faking the appearance of a good night’s sleep. The scent is strong but calming and luxurious, and it nourishes skin in a way that regular face creams can’t provide.