Its official, crystals are having a moment. You only have to take a quick scroll through Instagram to see rose quartz, jade, and amethyst popping up on shelfies and in selfies. But what exactly are the benefits of each crystal? And what are the differences between them?
Each crystal supposedly has its own energy and healing properties, but if you’re sceptical about the powers of crystals, each stone has its own physical and chemical properties as well, which provide different benefits for different skin types and concerns.
Here’s everything you need to know to choose the right crystal for you.
– Known as the ‘love stone’, rose quartz signifies channels love and positivity, and has been used since the time of the Ancient Egyptians to fight signs of aging
– This crystal has the ability to retain temperature effectively, so it stays cold as you’re using it – this cooling benefit will soothe inflammation and redness
– Contains minerals like magnesium, iron, and oxygen, which help to remove dead skin cells, promote healing, and reduce inflammation
– Known to reduce tension and relax facial expressions, softening the appearance of fine lines
– Best used at night, to calm skin before sleep and improve product absorption
– Solid and weighty, rose quartz is a relatively heavy stone
– Best for soothing
– Used in Traditional Chinese medicine for years, jade promotes balance, positivity, and calm, and is believed to carry a healing energy that restores harmony to skin
– Physically, this crystal has more resistance on skin than rose quartz and amethyst, so while it’s not as silky and glass-like in texture, it is better for achieving firming and lifting results – e.g. smoothing wrinkles, sculpting muscle, and tightening loose skin
– Contains properties that aid the body’s natural defence system, relaxing the nervous system and eliminating toxins from skin
– Jade has high thermal conductivity, so it quickly and easily warms up to skin’s temperature
– Best used in the morning, since it has a revitalising energy that helps skin to feel fresh and invigorated
– Jade is quite lightweight, so can sometime feel easy to use and maneuver than rose quartz. It’s also a very hard stone, so is unlikely to crack or break if you accidentally drop it
– Best for balancing
– Amethyst crystals are often used to ward off negative energies and stress, and promote clarity and relaxation
– Amethyst emits infrared rays which slightly raise skin temperature to increase circulation. This calms inflammation and redness, and nourishes skin cells with oxygen and nutrients to keep them healthy and encourage regeneration
– Thanks to its negative-charge, amethyst draws out positively charged toxins and free radicals to cleanse and detoxify skin
– These detoxifying powers mean that amethyst helps to prevent bacteria growth and tighten pores, so is recommended for blemish-prone skin
– Best for stress relieving